Argan oil, also referred to as liquid gold, is a natural oil extracted from the almond of the Moroccan Argan trees. It is used as a moisturizing, revitalizing, regenerating and softening treatment for skin and hair.
Organic and pure Argan oil has astonishing qualities, it contains large amounts of beneficial nutrients such as vitamin E and fatty acids, which have many positive effects on our bodies. But sometimes, it can be very hard to determine if an Argan oil is authentic and pure or not.
Here are some tips and tricks to help you recognize a pure and authentic Argan oil
How to recognize pure and authentic Argan oil
Spotting the difference between an authentic and a fake or mixed Argan oil can be tricky if you are not accustomed to its origins and specificities.
To avoid getting ripped off and be able to determine if argan oil is pure and authentic always make sure to :
- Check the list of ingredients. It shouldn't contain more than 1 ingredient: Argan oil (Argania Spinosa) kernel oil. A pure and authentic Argan oil shouldn't contain any additives, water, perfume nor preservatives.
Check the label. Pure and authentic Argan oil only comes from Morocco because the tree is endemic and it only grows in Morocco. It also must have an ECOCERT certificate.
- A %100 pure Moroccan Argan oil must have a slight aroma of hazelnut. This said aroma dissipates quickly after Argan is applied on the skin because it gets quickly absorbed into the epidermis.
- Pure Argan oil is known to have a slightly thick and extremely smooth texture. It shouldn't be watery.
- There are two types of Argan oil, you can differentiate them by their colors. Culinary Argan oil is golden brown and the cosmetic one is a golden yellow. It is too light, then it is not pure.
- Do not conserve or buy Argan oil stored in clear or plastic bottles. Argan oil should only be contained in a dark glass vial (usually dark amber), as light degrades it. Which means that even if you have a %100 pure and authentic Argan oil and you leave it exposed to light, it is not useful anymore.